Post image for I’m not usually one to chase numbers.

I’m not usually one to chase numbers.

by Sara on June 29, 2011

But, my amazing friends Fitz and Becca are about 10,000 downloads away from the one million downloads mark, for the Dirtbag Diaries.

What does that matter?  Well … in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t.  Who really cares about one million downloads.  Or 5.16.  Or 5,000 followers.  On the other hand, the fact that Fitz and Becca and their contributers’ stories have been heard by ears somewhere near a million times literally gives me chills… it reminds me that there are a whole lot of “us” out there, and gave me pause to think about the part that the Diaries have played in my life.

I started out a fan.  I’ve listened to the Diaries for years… usually storing up several episodes at a time to binge on during late night solo drives on big, long stretches of open road.  Through the wonder of social media, I connected with Fitz and then bumped into him (he has a rather … um … recognizable voice) and met Becca at a crag in Leavenworth, WA.  They welcomed me around their campfire that evening, and a treasured friendship that has grown into familyness blossomed.

So, now, the least I can do is point y’all toward my all time favorite Diaries.  Download.  Listen.  Let tears come to your eyes, and laugh out loud at the shared, familiar hilarity of living life by saying “Yes” to it.  Be thankful for the lives of adventure that we each get to live, and for the talented storytellers that connect us to each other.

And far be it from me to pay attention to numbers, but, would you care to help push the Diaries over the million download mark?

May I recommend you start with (or, re-listen to) five of my all-time favorite Diaries.  The links below are to files you can listen to live; if you’d like to download the podcast, visit iTunes and search for The Dirtbag Diaries.

Now, my top five favorite Diaries, in no particular order:

1. Unseen But Felt
  2. Scars
  3. Three Eights to Eternity
  4. Sixty Meters to Anywhere, by Brendan Leonard
  5. The Shorts — Friends in High Places, by Kelly Cordes

Love you, Cahalls.  Thank you for the gifts that you give us (your fans and listeners) and me (your friend).  Please, please keep up the good work.  For a long time to come.

I know there are Diaries fans reading this.  Chime in with links to your favorites, in the comments!

{ 29 comments… read them below or add one }

Amy C June 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Oh Sara… I totally agree. I’ve never met the Cahalls personally myself, but I’ve loved the Diaries from near the beginning of their journey. I don’t have links handy, but my all-time favorite episode I remember well. I don’t even know the name, but as a kid spending summers in Southern California, Disneyland holds a special place in my heart.

Space Mountain was my first major roller coaster, but The Matterhorn was always my favorite… good times spent with my cousins in our teens collecting burrs while standing in line and then hucking them at the Abominable Snowman as we whizzed by. And I remember the mountain men climbing up the peak in their leiderhosen (sp?)… so the story from one of them sharing the secrets of the hidden room makes me laugh every time I listen to it (which reminds me I need to do so again soon).

Climbing wouldn’t appear on my radar for another twenty years, but it’s a story that bridges my younger self to the woman I’ve grown into today and for that (and the laughs) I cherish it.

Thank you for the links. And thank you, most sincerely and from the heart, Fitz and Becca, for the connections and community you foster with each episode.

Sara June 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hm. I wish I had a “love” button for blog comments. That one would get “loved.”

Nich July 4, 2011 at 7:56 am

I’ve listened to a fair few, particularly on the long journeys travelling around Canada & and PNW last year. Surrounded by friendly Vancouverites, the Dirtbag Diary that really got me was a short called Knees & Weather Permitting. The glorious Scottish accent felt reassuringly familiar to an exiled Brit, while the tale of a late adopter learning to love the mountains, and beginning to realise what she’s capable of, lifted my heart.

Teresa July 6, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Oooh! This is a great post and a fun “assignment”. I ditto Amy’s vote for the Matterhorn. I listened to that one with my dad on a road trip from Idaho. My folks support, but dont always understand, why I like doing what I do outside. This episode provided a really nice way for my dad and me to connect in a way we dont normally get to, somewhere on the long, winding road between Lime and Ontario, Idaho.

I’d also have to add a plug for the White Book. I was so inspired by the story that I had to pull over in a Taco Time parking lot somewhere near Southerlin, OR on my rainy drive home from a disastrous trip to Red Rock. I gave the rain a run for its money – too many tears to keep driving. Ha! When it was finally over, I was re-inspired. And had a whole new perspective on the offer of a helping hand too. :)

platform topuk November 15, 2011 at 7:27 am

new belgium dream

Camp Trailers January 9, 2012 at 8:48 am

Being a newbie writer, reading this article is a great opportunity for me to learn. It is such a motivating thing having this post of yours. I was interested with the topic as well as the scheme of a good writer you are. I would definitely check this page more often to check the articles as well as the brilliant ideas that would be an enormous help for me.

http://www.500lovemakingtipsandsecretsreview.com June 26, 2013 at 9:18 am

Hi are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m
trying to get started and set up my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own
blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cistern's March 28, 2014 at 4:17 am

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess
I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing.
Do you have any tips for inexperienced blog writers?
I’d definitely appreciate it.

chaityas March 28, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Hey there! This post couldn’t be written any better!

Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this article to him.
Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

cydia sources for game car hacks and mods for dummies May 14, 2014 at 11:38 pm

For example, breaking has been rumored to increase the susceptibility of iPhones to malware.

Apple has also outfitted this Apple iphone with two cameras
that make this handset unique from its other launched.

best iphone 5 apps productivity May 14, 2014 at 11:51 pm

The iPad 2 weighs about 600 grams, down 15-percent from 700 grams for
your iPad 1, iSuppli said. Truly, if you’ve an iPad to Computer Transfer Plan, it will no hassle for
you from now on.

Leigh May 15, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Couldnt you just stroll over and introduce yourself?

It will quick become 1 of your favorite publications.
Of program, having an independent ear can be extremely helpful – but you
can attain a huge quantity your self.

Suzanna May 24, 2014 at 10:50 am

Open it and you will locate a circular photo, yeah right,
it’s the “AssistiveTouch”. For just about any sort of bust touch the integrated function to resume.
This might make it only a little hard to grip.

Caitlin May 26, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Through these games, kids can earn points. Teachers
are catered for by support material for the objectives of the national curriculum regarding speaking and hearing.
Work the right path through the complete alphabet letter by letter.

http://as.ms/whatsappforpc190552 June 11, 2014 at 7:18 pm

If you have viruses and/or spyware on your pc you ought to
take this stage extremely seriously. It’s personal and instant, whether or not via
SMS or utilizing more recent messaging services like Whatsapp.

reverse diabetes in 2 weeks June 12, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Raw, unprocessed, high-fiber foods are absorbed in a slower pace.

Contributing factors for this kind of the condition includes
obesity, poor diet, and insufficient exerciseall preventable.
Lean meats should be selected over red meats.

how to run whatsapp on pc June 13, 2014 at 9:53 am

For now, mark your territory outside the Apple device shops.
At first that does not sound very unique, does it?
The change to the iOS application delivers that system’s edition in line with the relaxation of the company’s offerings.

mcaf.ee June 13, 2014 at 11:42 am

The Windows registry isn’t to be trifled with if you don’t understand what it holds.

As soon as you accept their buddy demand they start tampering
along with your account. Bass shutters are known to
keep insects away.

Andre June 14, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you
create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
Plz answer back as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where
u got this from. cheers

Orval June 14, 2014 at 7:06 pm

In this game you are Harry on a quest of course
rescue her from tragedy and to locate your princess.
Obviously, sometimes they don’t recognize
it, or they don’t really care.

homes for sale in June 15, 2014 at 12:32 pm

The sidewalks near the beach and pier were decorated with turtles.
All the ingredients are fresh, and tomatoes are usually grown in the garden of the
owner. Just make a left out the restaurant door,
which will take you northwest along 2nd Street.

arcadedonkey.com June 16, 2014 at 3:28 pm

It’s even integrated with SBSettings so you can quickly flip it on or off when you need it.
They are trying to produce user content and interact users in new ways.
It is all correct there for you to see with simplicity.

Varooma Google Plus June 18, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend yyour website, how can i subscribe for a blog website?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I were tiny bit familiaar of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

Veola June 18, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Hi, its nice article concerning media print, we all be aware of media is a wonderful source
of facts.

gta san andreas hack June 18, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?

I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any recommendations?

Barbecue bande annonce June 22, 2014 at 11:44 pm

If you want a smaller but higher quality picture
then a Plasma TV would be a good option as these can be purchased at sizes up to 65 inches,
and therefore still providing you with a big screen viewing experience.
(The gears in the camera that pulled the film through was technology borrowed from clockwork.
Now from these movies most of the people have been influenced in terms of
their work and opting education in their field of interest.

staging your home for a quick sale June 26, 2014 at 2:43 am

I know this wweb site gives quality depending articles
annd other material, is there any other weeb site which
presents sjch stuff in quality?

small business website design July 6, 2014 at 2:55 am

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I
get actually enjoyed account your blog posts.

Any way I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you
access consistently rapidly.

carpet rug cleaning service July 20, 2014 at 2:51 am

Hey there! I could have sworn I’ve besen too this blog before but after browsing through
some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be book-marking aand checking back often!