Post image for I’m not usually one to chase numbers.

I’m not usually one to chase numbers.

by Sara on June 29, 2011

But, my amazing friends Fitz and Becca are about 10,000 downloads away from the one million downloads mark, for the Dirtbag Diaries.

What does that matter?  Well … in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t.  Who really cares about one million downloads.  Or 5.16.  Or 5,000 followers.  On the other hand, the fact that Fitz and Becca and their contributers’ stories have been heard by ears somewhere near a million times literally gives me chills… it reminds me that there are a whole lot of “us” out there, and gave me pause to think about the part that the Diaries have played in my life.

I started out a fan.  I’ve listened to the Diaries for years… usually storing up several episodes at a time to binge on during late night solo drives on big, long stretches of open road.  Through the wonder of social media, I connected with Fitz and then bumped into him (he has a rather … um … recognizable voice) and met Becca at a crag in Leavenworth, WA.  They welcomed me around their campfire that evening, and a treasured friendship that has grown into familyness blossomed.

So, now, the least I can do is point y’all toward my all time favorite Diaries.  Download.  Listen.  Let tears come to your eyes, and laugh out loud at the shared, familiar hilarity of living life by saying “Yes” to it.  Be thankful for the lives of adventure that we each get to live, and for the talented storytellers that connect us to each other.

And far be it from me to pay attention to numbers, but, would you care to help push the Diaries over the million download mark?

May I recommend you start with (or, re-listen to) five of my all-time favorite Diaries.  The links below are to files you can listen to live; if you’d like to download the podcast, visit iTunes and search for The Dirtbag Diaries.

Now, my top five favorite Diaries, in no particular order:

1. Unseen But Felt
  2. Scars
  3. Three Eights to Eternity
  4. Sixty Meters to Anywhere, by Brendan Leonard
  5. The Shorts — Friends in High Places, by Kelly Cordes

Love you, Cahalls.  Thank you for the gifts that you give us (your fans and listeners) and me (your friend).  Please, please keep up the good work.  For a long time to come.

I know there are Diaries fans reading this.  Chime in with links to your favorites, in the comments!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Amy C June 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Oh Sara… I totally agree. I’ve never met the Cahalls personally myself, but I’ve loved the Diaries from near the beginning of their journey. I don’t have links handy, but my all-time favorite episode I remember well. I don’t even know the name, but as a kid spending summers in Southern California, Disneyland holds a special place in my heart.

Space Mountain was my first major roller coaster, but The Matterhorn was always my favorite… good times spent with my cousins in our teens collecting burrs while standing in line and then hucking them at the Abominable Snowman as we whizzed by. And I remember the mountain men climbing up the peak in their leiderhosen (sp?)… so the story from one of them sharing the secrets of the hidden room makes me laugh every time I listen to it (which reminds me I need to do so again soon).

Climbing wouldn’t appear on my radar for another twenty years, but it’s a story that bridges my younger self to the woman I’ve grown into today and for that (and the laughs) I cherish it.

Thank you for the links. And thank you, most sincerely and from the heart, Fitz and Becca, for the connections and community you foster with each episode.

Sara June 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hm. I wish I had a “love” button for blog comments. That one would get “loved.”

Nich July 4, 2011 at 7:56 am

I’ve listened to a fair few, particularly on the long journeys travelling around Canada & and PNW last year. Surrounded by friendly Vancouverites, the Dirtbag Diary that really got me was a short called Knees & Weather Permitting. The glorious Scottish accent felt reassuringly familiar to an exiled Brit, while the tale of a late adopter learning to love the mountains, and beginning to realise what she’s capable of, lifted my heart.

Teresa July 6, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Oooh! This is a great post and a fun “assignment”. I ditto Amy’s vote for the Matterhorn. I listened to that one with my dad on a road trip from Idaho. My folks support, but dont always understand, why I like doing what I do outside. This episode provided a really nice way for my dad and me to connect in a way we dont normally get to, somewhere on the long, winding road between Lime and Ontario, Idaho.

I’d also have to add a plug for the White Book. I was so inspired by the story that I had to pull over in a Taco Time parking lot somewhere near Southerlin, OR on my rainy drive home from a disastrous trip to Red Rock. I gave the rain a run for its money – too many tears to keep driving. Ha! When it was finally over, I was re-inspired. And had a whole new perspective on the offer of a helping hand too. :)

platform topuk November 15, 2011 at 7:27 am

new belgium dream

Camp Trailers January 9, 2012 at 8:48 am

Being a newbie writer, reading this article is a great opportunity for me to learn. It is such a motivating thing having this post of yours. I was interested with the topic as well as the scheme of a good writer you are. I would definitely check this page more often to check the articles as well as the brilliant ideas that would be an enormous help for me.

http://www.500lovemakingtipsandsecretsreview.com June 26, 2013 at 9:18 am

Hi are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m
trying to get started and set up my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own
blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cistern's March 28, 2014 at 4:17 am

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess
I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing.
Do you have any tips for inexperienced blog writers?
I’d definitely appreciate it.

chaityas March 28, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Hey there! This post couldn’t be written any better!

Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this article to him.
Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!