It’s been months. And all I want to do is climb.

by Sara on February 3, 2012

I’ve had an okay ski season, all things considered, but today, looking out the window at a sunny day and clear skies, all I can think is sunshine, warm rock, and climbing bolt to bolt on 5.7s I’ve climbed a hundred times before as warm-ups because I’m so far out of climbing shape I don’t even know what climbing shape is anymore.

I’ve got a ski vacation next week that I’m really excited about, so there’ll be a little jaunt where I embrace winter, but I can’t wait to climb.  My hands are sweating just thinking about it.

How about you?  When does YOUR season start (or does it never end?)

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Erica Lineberry February 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Don’t hate…our season is pretty much year round, especially this year when its hardly gotten below freezing. But I’d gladly trade you a few sunny days in the 50′s for a few deep powder days here and there… :)

Steve February 3, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I’ve been climbing outside all winter on and off. Got in 7 routes today, and hoping for a bunch more then weekend. Nothing better then blowing off work to get in some vertical! :)

splitter choss February 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

The last couple years we started focusing more on climbing year round, and it’s been a blast. When it’s sunny, we get outside, and if it snows, we have casual weekends at the gym. Plus, it’s much easier focusing on just one thing. Hope you get to climb soon!

Patricia February 18, 2012 at 8:21 am

It’s been a really unusual winter in NorCal! We usually get dumped on by rain (or snow in the nearby mountains) but we’ve had just that one big storm here. So there really hasn’t been any skiing for us, but the climbing has been grand! The rain has started up again so I feel lucky to have a group of girls that meets at the local climbing gym twice a week. Normally coastal climbing is whenever it’s sunny (which is hit or miss) and inland climbing begins in April/May and goes until about July when it gets too hot. Then again we get a reprieve in the fall. I hope we can get out to Smith Rock this spring!!

Mike February 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Up here in Alberta, Canada the season usually starts sometime in March when some areas that are in the sun get warm. The season will often go to the end of October. This season it’s been so warm I was able to climb until November and I’ve already had a few nice days this February. With a trip to Red Rocks at the beginning of January I’ve been able to basically climb all year even in the freezign north.

Hope you get out climbing again soon!

Marc Siddens March 6, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Weather in CA has been freakish this year. Translation is snowboarding=bad but climbing=good. Its great to climb shirtless in the Valley in March. Year round climbing is a great tool to keep the soul healthy

mikael March 11, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Mine starts as soon as my new shoes arrive. so looking forward to it.

Pat | Paragliders March 13, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Winter is the season that awakens the urge of many people to try different sports and at times, it doesn’t really matter how demanding it may become as long as the most rewarding experience can be availed in the end. Good luck on your climbing expeditions!

Adrian April 1, 2012 at 7:51 am

So know how you feel, haven’t climbed since I was on Mount Kenya in August, unfortunately due to work pressures and not the weather. Even worse is a picked up a few extra kilos while I have not been climbing. So miss it.

Still May have a bash at Mount Elbrus in the new year along with a chance to get some skiing in.

Enjoy

Tierza Scaccia April 3, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Hi, we are coming to CO and UT (zion and moab)to film a climbing/travel show. Id love your audiences help on picking the more interesting spots. For CO we’d love to find a climb with water under or close to it.
for UT I cant decide between Zion and Moab (sport by the way)
We are looking for hot spots to eat and chill, the community camp areas, that type of thing.
Here’s our film link:http://vimeo.com/coultermitchell
I hope to hear back from you, thank you for your time.
Tierza

Sun April 7, 2012 at 10:12 am

Michael’s Belay Glasses: http://belayglass.blogspot.com/ Don’t crane your neck while belaying. Wear these glasses and look forward to gaze upward saving on neck strain. They allow the belayer to more fully concentrate their attention to the task at hand, especially on long, protracted sessions. They accomplish this at roughly a 1/4 of the cost of the other product on the market, putting this easier into the average climbers budget.

Maya April 16, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Hello from Europe..our season started lets say 2 months ago…and I am soooo happy I can climb again, winter is over!!! My blog is in Croatian but you can check out our climbing places in gallery named Fotke :)

mike April 30, 2012 at 7:32 am

hey fellow rock climbing buddys! I want to share with you a epic film called 180 south. If you have not seen this film yet. Well you are in for a real treat! head over to Monster Snag to grab a copy for a cheap rate! trust me its a film everyone has to see.

Vova May 12, 2012 at 1:57 am

Hello climbers,
I want to share a crazy climbing training app that is about to go out.
It’s called ClimbingMonster, and it lets you design your own sessions and tells you what to climb in real time.
check it out: